Engineers and architects have demanding business and document requirements. They need efficient, modern tools to operate. Yet, even the top engineering firms often remain mired in legacy processes, physical paper trails, and software that doesn’t reflect the current era. In this fast-paced, challenging environment where precision and speed are valued, these features can hamper productivity and profits. Architecture has unique needs when it comes to handling documents, which can make choosing a management solution difficult. Discover how document management addresses these needs to increase productivity and operational efficiency across the board.
5 Ways Document Management Increases Productivity for Architects
Documents underlie almost every process in a business. Document management tools help offices store, transmit, and maintain those critical pieces of information. For architects, a solid document management system can improve productivity by enhancing document security and access. That means:
1. Better Collaboration and Review Tools
It’s rare to conduct any architectural or engineering project without a team. However, it can be challenging to rapidly (and accurately) disseminate documents or information to team members. A robust document management tool makes this a reality by:
- Increasing accessibility: Whether leveraging cloud services or simply an internet connection, a document management system makes it easy for team members to access materials as they need them.
- Automating notifications: Help a team stay up to date with changes or project stages.
- Implementing version control: Say goodbye to confusing email attachments and everyone working on a different version. A document management system creates one centralized version.
- Improving visibility: Keeping documents centralized helps keep them visible, making it easier for a project manager to stay up-to-date on developments.
2. Integrated Cybersecurity
It should come as no shock that most business information occurs in document form, meaning that documents are the primary target for hackers seeking to steal business data. Therefore, the best document management systems integrate with cybersecurity software to create an integrated security environment. This is particularly advantageous to firms that rely on mobile solutions. The more dynamic the environment, the easier it is for unauthorized access to go unnoticed. Integrated security features empower architects to continue to use mobile solutions while ensuring they remain secure.
3. Efficient, Cost-Effective Storage
For over a century, filing cabinets have reigned as the supreme symbol of the office environment. Fortunately, that’s changing with more companies transitioning to electronic documents to conduct business. In particular, storage and archival processes benefit the most from this transition, making them easier to backup and access when needed. Many companies adopt an “archive it and forget it” mentality, which leads to valuable insights from previous projects being forgotten. For architects, a document management system represents a lightweight, convenient solution to keeping archives accessible so they can be drawn from for future plans.
4. Customized Solutions for Access and Organization
There’s no one-size-fits-all when it comes to any business solution, and that includes document management. Due to the unique and demanding document needs – particularly around access – the top engineering firms frequently choose solutions with highly customizable options. For example, many solutions come with options to integrate with existing software that the firm may be using. Likewise, document management for architects and engineers may also include downloadable libraries with up to date compliance regulations or standards.
5. Enhanced Disaster Recovery Planning
All businesses need disaster recovery planning, but this is a genuinely indispensable feature for engineering firms. Unlike other industries, the documents produced by architects or engineers frequently guide things like significant construction projects – losing them can prove devastating both to the firm and the project. A robust document management system that’s appropriate for architects considers this worst-case scenario. Among the features included for disaster recovery and planning are:
- Automated, scheduled backups: When backups are automated, it’s easier to ensure they’re never missed. That’s one less thing for professionals to worry about.
- Backups stored on the cloud: When stored offsite, in a secure cloud, backups remain safe even if the firm’s hardware is compromised.
- Automated recovery: Should a file become corrupt or otherwise compromised, automated recovery replaces it automatically to minimize downtime.
New York’s Top Engineering Firms Choose Mac Copy
Architects and engineers know better than anybody that having the right tools is critical to complete a job successfully. The top engineering firms in New York leverage state-of-the-art document management solutions that deliver unbridled productivity. When it comes to the software that supports business processes, don’t settle for just anything off the shelf. A document management system designed for engineers meets all the pain points that these professionals experience with other programs. Mac Copy specializes in finding the perfect solutions to support office processes, no matter how specific or challenging.
New York’s top engineering firms trust Mac Copy to help them achieve operational efficiency. Start a conversation now to discover the ideal document management solution.